Location: New York, New York
Academic / Research
The people of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) are united by a singular mission: ending cancer for life. Our specialized care teams provide personalized, compassionate, expert care to patients of all ages. Informed by basic research done at our Sloan Kettering Institute, scientists across MSK collaborate to conduct innovative translational and clinical research that is driving a revolution in our understanding of cancer as a disease and improving the ability to prevent, diagnose, and treat it. MSK is dedicated to training the next generation of scientists and clinicians, who go on to pursue our mission at MSK and around the globe. One of the world's most respected comprehensive centers devoted exclusively to cancer, we have been recognized as one of the top two cancer hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report for more than 30 years.
In compliance with applicable State regulatory authorities, COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all MSK staff. Staff are considered fully vaccinated upon completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19 (i.e., one dose of a single dose vaccine or a final dose of a multi-dose vaccine series). Exceptions from the COVID-19 vaccine requirement are permitted for those who request and receive an approved medical or fully remote exemption. Requests for medical exemption can take up to two weeks to review. Vaccination or an approved medical exemption is required to start work.
*Staff working at a MSK New Jersey location must be up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, which includes having completed the primary COVID-19 vaccination series and booster once eligible as mandated by New Jersey State. All New Jersey staff not yet eligible for a booster must receive a booster within 3 weeks of becoming eligible as a condition of continued employment at MSK.
Note: Individuals are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster two months after completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19. Because vaccine-induced immunity can wane over time, MSK continues to strongly urge all staff to get a COVID-19 booster as soon as they become eligible to maintain their protective immunity for a longer period.
The Pathology Core Facility at MSK is a centralized, comprehensive facility for research involving human tissue. The research facility performs tissue sample procurement, histology, and immunohistochemistry services for MSK investigators and external collaborators. The immunohistochemistry (IHC) division provides staining of formalin fixed tissues samples and maintains a growing and extensive list of 500+ IHC staining protocols.
We are currently seeking an R&D-minded Research Technician to join our Immunohistochemistry division within the Pathology Core Facility.
- Primarily perform automated Immunohistochemistry (IHC) using different stainer platforms (e.g., Leica, Ventana).
- Perform Hematoxylin Eosin staining for evaluating and analyzing tissues.
- Assist in the development of new IHC protocols and techniques.
- Assist with testing and validation of new antibodies for IHC protocols.
- Analyze and troubleshoot equipment-related issues
- Maintain necessary quality control and assurance records
- Work directly with requesting investigators to obtain the scope of the project and deliver the staining results.
- Work directly with pathologists on staining optimizations and interpretations.
- Section paraffin and frozen tissue specimens as requested.
- R&D-minded with an interest in immunohistochemistry (IHC), histology, and pathology.
- Highly collaborative and enjoy partnering with physicians, scientists, and technologists.
- Organized and a strong communicator.
- Interested in research and learning new methods.
- Bachelor's degree in biochemistry, biology, chemistry, pharmacology, or related field is preferred.
- Ability to perform dilutions and laboratory calculations.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong digital literacy.
- No licensing as a clinical technician is required for this role.
Pay Range $26.62-$41.29
Please click to learn more about MSK's compensation philosophy.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.