Location: New York, New York
Academic / Research
The people of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) are united by a singular mission: ending cancer for life. Our specialized care teams provide personalized, compassionate, expert care to patients of all ages. Informed by basic research done at our Sloan Kettering Institute, scientists across MSK collaborate to conduct innovative translational and clinical research that is driving a revolution in our understanding of cancer as a disease and improving the ability to prevent, diagnose, and treat it. MSK is dedicated to training the next generation of scientists and clinicians, who go on to pursue our mission at MSK and around the globe. One of the world's most respected comprehensive centers devoted exclusively to cancer, we have been recognized as one of the top two cancer hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report for more than 30 years.
In compliance with applicable State regulatory authorities, COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all MSK staff. Staff are considered fully vaccinated upon completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19 (i.e., one dose of a single dose vaccine or a final dose of a multi-dose vaccine series). Exceptions from the COVID-19 vaccine requirement are permitted for those who request and receive an approved medical or fully remote exemption. Requests for medical exemption can take up to two weeks to review. Vaccination or an approved medical exemption is required to start work.
*Staff working at a MSK New Jersey location must be up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, which includes having completed the primary COVID-19 vaccination series and booster once eligible as mandated by New Jersey State. All New Jersey staff not yet eligible for a booster must receive a booster within 3 weeks of becoming eligible as a condition of continued employment at MSK.
Note: Individuals are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster two months after completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19. Because vaccine-induced immunity can wane over time, MSK continues to strongly urge all staff to get a COVID-19 booster as soon as they become eligible to maintain their protective immunity for a longer period.
The bi-institutional Husbandry and Operations provides monitoring and humane care for all animals housed within Memorial Sloan Kettering and Weill Cornell Medical College vivaria 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
This section is comprised of over 150 Animal Care Technicians, Facility Supervisors and Managers caring for upwards of 250,000 animals. Many techs are certified at various levels of competence by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, an association of professionals that advances responsible animal care and used to benefit people and animals. These certifications demonstrate a deep understanding of the knowledge and required skillset in this field. Our goal is to deliver the highest quality care, to the animals in our charge, in order to improve research and animal management at MSKCC and WCMC!
What are we looking for? We are seeking an Animal Care Tech Lead at the facility, you will assist in the supervision and training of new techs. Also, under minimal direction you will perform the duties related to laboratory animal care and facility operations as well as assume select responsibilities of the Facility Managers in their absence.
- Ensure cages are sanitized and crafted by policy.
- Process dirty equipment in preparation for sanitization in cage washing equipment.
- Sanitize caging and related equipment with sterilizers.
- Wash using pressure washers as vital.
- Craft caging for use by staff
- Prepares acidified water bottles using an automated bottle filler and proportioner.
- Assist in performing routine maintenance procedures and making adjustments on this equipment; assesses the condition of caging and equipment and makes notes on replacement or repair; and monitors, inspects, troubleshoots, and requests maintenance.
- Assist other Lead positions in the maintenance of niche animal caging systems and assumes responsibilities in the absence of other leads as assigned.
- Provide husbandry to all animal species in conventional and niche animal-holding rooms/suites maintained at MSKCC.
- Perform various administrative duties including assisting with employee training, performance evaluations, and work schedule development for RARC animal care staff; places work orders: and, maintains records as advised.
- Provides mentorship and training when needed.
- Maintain supplies and equipment. Makes recommendations for equipment purchases, performs equipment and supply inventory, and orders feed, bedding and other supplies as assigned.
- When assigned, performs census scans, which includes entering the census in a database and reviewing census reports for accuracy.
- Follows up on non-compliant cages identified in EnCCoMPass, as the need arises.
- Apprises management staff of daily work tasks and issues.
ALAT certified with demonstrated proficiency and a minimum of 2 years of Animal Care experience.
LAT certified with demonstrated proficiency and a minimum of 1 year of Animal Care experience.
Full-Time: The shift will be between 6AM and 3PM
Please click to learn more about MSK's compensation philosophy.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.