The goals of the Program Manager (PM) are to advance the research mission and grow the research footprint in the Department of OB/Gyn. To this end, the Program Manager will be a key contributor and facilitator responsible for prioritizing, supporting, and managing complex research projects, initiatives, and work streams that have a department-wide impact. This position interacts with faculty researchers, department leadership, and the larger VUMC research community to provide strategic and operational research support for VUMC Ob/Gyn. The Program Manager also ensures that research is conducted in accordance with Good Clinical Practice Guidelines, federal/sponsor regulations and guidelines, Vanderbilt Policies and Procedures, research protocols and sponsor requirements. Importantly, the Program Manager will function as a departmental resource for research operations as both a leader and a role model, The position requires pride of ownership, an unflagging desire to excel and grow the research mission, creativity and engineering, and collaborative energy to work with department faculty and staff as well as the broader VUMC research community.
A. Lead Research Operations
* Maintain expertise in resources available within VUMC as well as regulatory operations and compliance.
* Support new research initiatives by providing resources to faculty, such as assisting with manuals of operations, IRB submissions, database creation, funding options, and proposal execution. While the PM may not know answers to all faculty questions, the PM will be able to investigate solutions and/or guide faculty to appropriate resources.
* Manage and monitor clinical trial startup, study activities, and closeout
* Drive the development of research project plans, timelines, and goals
* Monitor projects, especially studies involving patient enrollment to ensure that enrollment goals are met, and endpoints are achieved
* Work with other stakeholders in the department, especially Finance and Grants Management, to assist faculty initiating or operating clinical trials
* Provide mentorship and guidance to Research Assistants working on faculty projects.
* Mentor faculty, trainees, and staff through the scientific process, project logistics and results dissemination
B. Track Research Metrics
* Maintain accurate, up to date information, including patient enrollment numbers, on research projects in the department of OB/Gyn especially, projects with patient enrollment
* Work with the Grants Manager to maintain accurate information on grants submitted and awarded
* Prepare monthly reports on research activities for the Research Committee meetings. These reports include number of active studies, current enrollments and targets, study completion, and new grants submitted and funded.
* Prepare the annual report on research activities departmental and VUMC leadership
C. Oversee Regulatory Compliance
* Maintain expertise in regulatory operations and compliance
* Enforce departmental research compliance with federal, VUMC, and protocol guidelines
* Support faculty with new IRB submissions
* Audit research projects and initiatives as appropriate
* Work collaboratively with other Vanderbilt units to ensure that the interrelated research business processes are effective
D. Promote Communication and Publicity about ongoing Research Activity
* Work with other members of the department to update and maintain the research aspects of the Department of OB/Gyn website on at least a quarterly basis.
* Develop a monthly newsletter to department faculty with research updates
E. Manage Research Administrative and Business Processes
* Serve as a member of the Research Committee
* Support the Research Committee Chair in monthly Research Committee meetings with activities such as scheduling meetings, taking notes, and sending out meeting minutes
* Review and reconcile Clinical Research Billing Reports on a weekly basis
* Prepare research VUMC billing grids/budgets for new and ongoing studies
* Compile and review pilot award funding requests
* Compile and review CTSA funding requests and progress reports
* Anticipate departmental research needs and handle special projects as requested by the departmental leadership
* Resolve issues and concerns from leadership, faculty, trainees, staff, and other research stakeholders
* Build and maintain effective, collaborative, and consultative relationships with stakeholders, both internal and external to VUMC Ob/Gyn
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
* Experience with the administrative functions and services of a complex organization
* Excellent project management skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
* High level of proficiency in the key components of Microsoft Office combined with a willingness to deepen those skills as needed
* High level of personal and professional integrity
* Ability to perform as a resourceful, resilient, and collaborative team player
* Ability to develop ideas into plans of action and to coordinate actions through implementation
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.